Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I spent some time yesterday booking rooms at hostels on various stops for the first few legs of my trip. As I noted on my other blog, this will be a study of contrasts. After working in upscale resorts with rack rates in the ballpark of $1000 per night, it will be interesting to see how my hostel in Manila can compare at $6.18 including meals and transport to and from the airport, or how five nights in Cairns, Australia, near the Great Barrier Reef, will set me back under $70 including breakfast and dinner. I've thought some about different ways to commemorate the trip. Edward wants pictures of all the Unusual things I end up eating and I'm sure I can do that. In January, while at Sundance, I saw a film called Unmade Beds, which partially took its name from one character's penchant to photograph wherever he slept, as it was rarely the same place for more than a couple nights. That idea could lend itself to a unique photographic set. I do not have the backpack space to haul a garden gnome around with me ala Amelie, plus it has been overdone by Travelocity.

No comments:

Post a Comment